[Cs_announce] Moving to a new server

Steve Garcia steve at cs.csubak.edu
Mon Aug 20 12:12:59 PDT 2018

This is just a heads up for all current students of the Computer and
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science department at CSUB.  We are
switching to a new server, odin.cs.csub.edu.  All students currently
enrolled in classes this fall will have new accounts created near the
beginning of the semester -- you don't have to request it, I will create
the accounts and give them to your instructor to hand out.  If you are an
alum or a student not taking a current class, but still want an account,
let me know and I will create an account for you, but please wait a week
or so after classes start so things will have slowed down a bit.

Your sleipnir account is not going away.  Your new account *may* not be
the same username -- if you are currently jsmith3, you are likely to be
jsmith on the new server, but other than that there shouldn't be any
change.

Odin is now the www server for the department, so your old web page is no
longer visible as https://www.cs.csub.edu/~yourname.  It *is* visible as
http://www2.cs.csubak.edu/~yourname.  You cannot use the secure server for
www2 (it's not on the certificate) and you cannot use the cs.csub.edu
formulation (it defaults to the secure server.)  Your odin account won't
have these limitations.

Right at this moment, your CS email is still on sleipnir, but that will
change once I create the new student accounts on odin.  At that time,
email on sleipnir may stop working.  I will work on getting both to work,
but that might not be right away if at all.

--
Steve Garcia
Operating Systems Analyst
steve at cs.csubak.edu
www.cs.csubak.edu/~steve
Ignorance killed the cat.  Curiosity was framed.